A movie review allows writers to express their thoughts about this or that movie, requiring the unbiased and objective approach. Film review aims to be detailed and honest to make the impression about the cinematography piece.
A movie review is a common school assignment, which allows students to broaden their outlook, develop critical and analytical thinking, and master their writing skills at the same time. While working on a movie review writing, you learn how to analyze plot and characters, different events. You get to know the genre and develop your ability to make conclusions, reporting them in logical ways.
Steps for creating a good book review are as follows:
- It is important to watch the movie twice. And, while doing it, you need to make some notes, of characters, quotes that impress you, events, dates, or something you want later to consider in your paper. Note-taking is a good idea since you cannot rely on your memory only.
- Watching a movie, even twice, is not enough to create a worthy review. You need to carry out research and get to know interesting details about this film. Look for the name of filmmaker, motivation, inspiration, locations, historical events (if available). This information will help you to make your movie review in-depth.
- Once you have watched the movie, you need to analyze it. Make sure you understand everything that was shown on the screen. Only in that case, you will be able to produce a paper of good quality.
- Then, you need to create an outline for your paper to follow it while writing.
- Comment on the movie`s quality, originality, and coherence.
Effective Movie Review Outline
It is obvious that the quality of your paper depends on its structure as well. Instead of writing whatever comes to your mind, it is better to follow a well-structured plan. In addition, it will make the writing process even more flawless.
- Introduction that includes the movie title, its release date, and relevant background information
- A brief summary of the movie
- Accurate analysis of the plot and creative elements
- Own opinion, including examples from the movie
- Conclusion where you need to tell whether the movie is successful and whether the filmmaker fulfilled the intentions. You should also define in what way this movie shapes the course topic
Things to Avoid While Writing a Movie Review
- Being not focused while watching the movie
- Using too much of “I” in your paper
- Ignoring to check the details about the movie
- Stating your opinion without explaining it
- Considering the irrelevancies
- Ignoring the structure while writing
- Using too many generalities
- Missing analysis of the feature
Certainly, effective movie review writing requires time, patience and efforts. If you cannot cope with this task, do not despair at once. Check the given instructions and write a good movie review without problems.